What Free doesn’t get you
Earlier this month, we reduced the price of our DotImage Photo product 100%, all the way down to free.*
Since then, we’ve gotten a bit of interest in that edition of our SDK, but we’ve also gotten some confusion when people try to use products that aren’t available in that edition.
I hope I can clear up at least some of the confusion:
1. Annotations. No. Not available. Only available in Document Imaging.
2. Thumbnail viewing. No. Not available. Need to use Photo Pro or Document Imaging.
3. Web Controls. Nope. Photo Pro or Document Imaging.
4. Multipage Write support. See Document Imaging.
5. Silverlight controls. See Document Imaging.
6. Metadata. Photo Pro or Document Imaging.
7. Scanning. DotTwain or Document Imaging.
8. PDF Viewing. Yes, with the Pdf Reader add-on.
9. Barcode Recognition. Yes, with the Barcode Reading add-on.
The best resource to see what is and is not included is our feature matrix. There’s more that’s included – this blog is just a brief summary.
10. Support. Yes and no.
We’ve gone back and forth a little bit on how to handle support for people who are taking advantage of this free offer. The solution we’ve settled on is to direct people to our forums. Some people may not like this solution, since it doesn’t get them the quick turnaround that purchasing support would get them, but we hope that the community will help each other when we cannot. Or, support can be purchased (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
I hope this clears up a couple of questions for people out there.
* This is for a limited time only. If the price has changed since publishing this article, well, sorry. You’re too late.